Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Whoops . . .

So back to the whole shopping thing:  Yes, I am one of those people who sits down the night before shopping day (and yes, there is a shopping day) and plans out a week's worth of dinner menus so that I don't buy (too many) useless items and, more importantly, so that I am  never, ever caught lacking that crucial ingredient without which dinner cannot possibly occur.  Imagine my surprise, then, when tonight's menu (yes, there really is a menu, and I post it on the fridge so that I don't forget what all those carefully planned food purchases are for) clearly said that we would be eating tortellini, pesto, and broccoli, but there was neither tortellini nor broccoli in the house. 

No biggie, you might say.  But you might also be the kind of person who is mentally prepared to vary from the menu.  And you might be the kind of person who is not trying to create a nutritionally balanced meal at 8:00 on soccer night. And you just might be the kind of person who has a full box of some other pasta in the pantry, rather than the tail ends of several boxes of  wildly disparate pasta. And you might be a person who shops on a day that is not tomorrow, such that you might actually have a little food left in the house.  

I, on the other hand, would appear to be your polar opposite, and this might account for the bizarre combination of scrap foods that I am about to throw down on the table and call dinner.

photo.jpg

I will, however, be putting the pesto away so that I can pretend that-- instead of totally being caught with my culinary pants down-- I just changed my mind.

p.s. A word to the wise:  if you are the kind of person who sits and finishes a blog post (or a bobbin of spinning, or a row (or 10) of knitting) before fishing your pasta out of the pot, you might just find that your pierogies do not appreciate the extra time in the bath and will protest by bursting open and emptying their filling into the cooking water, thereby rendering them a meaningless addition to your impromptu dinner menu.  I think they should come with a government warning to this effect, but they don't, so I thought I better pick up the slack.

p.p.s. Just in case you were wondering, here is the result of my Spinarellarama (note the capital letter there; I thought such a grand event merited an elevation in status):

photo.jpg

This is about 1300 (1311, to be exact) yards of yarn.  I'm thinking I'll weave something with it, but I don't really know what yet.

Having finished all my merino fleece (yay me!!!), I am treating myself to a brief affair with this purple loveliness:

photo.jpg

I'm plugging away at the second bobbin today, and I hope to ply it tomorrow, then I'll get back to my regularly scheduled spinning.

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment