Thursday, February 21, 2013

Let There Be Pictures!

Well, it took me an extra day, mostly because we spent yesterday at dentists and lunches and book stores and riding lessons, so that by the time I got home there was neither the will nor the daylight for taking pictures.  

But today is not only a new day, it is a car-free day.  El-Husbando took his car to the shop and then took my car to work, so the rest of us had no choice but to lounge around the house in our jammies.  I was supposed to get a whole bunch of stuff done this morning, including exercise and a massive clean out of the basement, but instead I read my book.  So there.  

I also snapped a few pictures, and here they are.

First up, my new sweater.  I had a lot of yarn left over from my not-a-clown-sweater (which, incidentally, is now one of my favorites).  So naturally I ordered a few more skeins of the red and made another sweater:




I love this one too; the lite lopi is toasty warm, but no so bulky that I can't move my arms around once I've put my winter coat on, so that's perfect.  Unfortunately, there's still a heap of the lopi left, and I'm now considering making a series of felted bags to use up the rest.

I started these socks (True Love, by Chrissy Gardiner) right after downloading the pattern, which was a valentine's day freebie.


I had no business starting a new sock, and I haven't gotten too far anyway, because I still have a heap of other projects to finish, including these socks:


They were supposed to be Turbo Toes, until I realized that I had changed everything in the pattern and had better call them something else.  I think of them now as Yellow Socks, which is a bit more encouraging than Irritating Socks That Have Had Two Different Toes and Three Different Heels and Will Probably Never Be Finished Because I Can't Work on Them Without Crumpling Under the Burden of Impending Failure.

When I wasn't busy knitting either the Socks that I Shouldn't Have Started or the Socks  That I Really Should Finish, I took some time to vandalize these poor things.  I knit them for a class and chose the yarn its for beauty and softness, rather than for its ability to last for more than one or two wearings under my nasty feet.  The construction of the sock allows you to replace just the sole.  I hope.


This, of course, is a mitten, a Super Mitten, to be precise, from the book Weekend Knitting. It's one of my favorite mitten patterns: quick, easy, and, if you line them with alpaca, super warm.





There's been some weaving going on too, or at least preparation for some weaving.  I bought these two color combinations in the fall



and today, since I couldn't drive anywhere, I finally put the finishing touches on my plans for the cloth and started winding the warp.


 It's going quickly, but my loom is set up for some towels right now and, unlike knitting, you can't just stick your current weaving project on a stitch holder so that you can use the loom for something else.  There's no way out but through, so I think you'll be able to guess what I'll be doing this weekend.

I did some spinning too.


 These lovely yarns are my kids' school colors (if you are willing to accept that the bottom one is more black than blue) and they were intended for a double layer hat for my daughter to wear for softball since a spring sport around here automatically means a lot of people standing outside for a long time in temperatures that are one step away from winter.  At least that was the plan right up until she told me that the hat was supposed to be her school colors (black and gold) on one side and her travel team colors (not black and gold) on the other.  Oh.

To ease the disappointment of having finally purchased fiber and spun yarn for a specific project, only to be thwarted by a misunderstanding, we baked cookies


and scones too, just in case.


I think the muscle burn from winding the warp has finally worn off, so its time to go and finish that task.   Just as soon as I have a little snack to sustain me in my labors.

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment