Saturday, November 5, 2011

Invisible Squash and Chickens on Strike

My little squash experiment failed. I set the squash on the table, invited everyone to try it, and they ignored it. I put a heap of it on my plate, ate it with gusto, encouraged them to do the same, and they ignored it. I chided them on their cowardice in all matters of squash, and they ignored me. It was masterfully done. No matter what I said or did, they carried on as if there were no such thing as squash. By the end of the meal, I was beginning to doubt it's existence myself. Nonetheless, I will persevere. This ignorance of squash cannot be allowed to continue.

More food related concerns: my chickens appear to be on strike. Over the summer, we were still collecting an average of five eggs a day. Now, an average day has one egg and I regret every dozen that I gave away.

Well, maybe not every dozen. But this does raise the possibility-- to the great joy of my children--that we will be adding to the flock again this spring.

Chickens, beware!

No comments:

Post a Comment